The University College of Technology is one of the premier and the oldest colleges offering Chemical Engineering and ChemicalTechnology education in the country. University College of Technology is one of the campus colleges of Osmania University accorded with autonomous status. It is one of the premier institutions in the state established in the year 1969, which offers courses both at UG and PG levels including Ph.D programs and established a reputation of academic excellence progressing through innovation. It has been setup with a mandate to offer the courses that contribute significantly in product development through science, engineering, technology and innovation programs that contribute for the social future and economic growth of the region, state and country. It has come a long way in emerging as one of the leading and sought-after Institutes with more number of disciplines and produced distinguished alumni who emerged as leaders in different walks of life. The College of Technology had a modest beginning in 1943 as a post-graduate section of Applied Chemistry in the Department of Chemistry, Osmania University. Later in1945, it was upgraded to the Department of Applied Chemistry.
In 1951, the subject of Chemical Engineering was introduced and the Department was redesignated as the Department of Chemical Technology. In 1954, four year degree courses were introduced leading to the Bachelors’ degrees in Chemical Technology and Chemical Engineering. In 1965 it was recognized as Department of Technology In September 1969, the University upgraded the Department of Technology to University College of Technology to form a strong academic nucleus of Chemical Engineering / Chemical Technology and also to serve as a nodal point for disseminating the technical know-how to various research institutions and industries. The College is known for its excellence in teaching and training the students in Chemical Engineering and Chemical Technology at the under-graduate and post-graduate levels. Over the years, the College has expanded and grown by leaps and bounds and the alumni of this college have excelled themselves all over the world.
In order to meet the changing requirements of the country, the B.Tech. degree courses in Food Processing and Preservation Technology and Textile Technology were started in the College during 1994-95. The importance of these courses is self evident as there are rich resources in cereals, fruits and vegetables, cotton, silk and other fibres. Further, no other University or College in Andhra Pradesh is offering full-fledged four year B.Tech. Degree program in these technologies to exploit the available resources. B.Tech Food Processing and Preservation Technology is now changed to B.Tech Food Technology. The college started a Two year P.G programme Under Self financing scheme in M. Tech Bio Chemical Engg & Bio Technology during the academic year 2006-2007 with new innovative concepts such as SAILS (Self access and interactive learning study). During 2009-10 Two – Two year P.G.Programmes in M.Pharmacy, (a) M.Pharmacy (Pharmaceutical Chemistry) (b) M.Pharmacy (Pharmaceutical Analysis & Quality Assurance) under the self financing scheme were started . After examining the presence of Gamut of Textile Industries in and around Hyderabad, a three year M.Tech Part Time Programme in Textile Technology leading to M.Tech (Apparel Technology) was started during 2010 under self financing scheme to cater the needs of personnel from Industry , Research & Academia.